Getting Here is Half the Fun
Whether you ride a Washington State Ferry from Anacortes, fly from Seattle to the San Juan Islands by Kenmore Air seaplane from Lake Union, transfer from SeaTac to a regional flight, or hop on the sleek, seasonal Victoria Clipper in downtown Seattle bound for Friday Harbor on San Juan Island, arriving at the ferry terminal or boarding your plane marks the beginning of your San Juan Islands vacation.
Getting here is half the fun! A leisurely ride on a Washington State Ferry gives you a taste of the archipelago's beauty, with a choice of stops at the four largest islands—Lopez, Orcas, Shaw, or San Juan. By plane you'll have a more expansive view—snow-tipped Mt. Baker, the Olympic and Cascade ranges, and the beautiful islands stretching in every direction.
To drive to the Anacortes ferry terminal from Seattle:
- Take I-5 North
- Take Exit 230 to Burlington/Anacortes (or Exits 221 or 226 through scenic Skagit Valley)
- At the first light, turn left toward Anacortes onto Highway 20 west
- Follow Highway 20 west to Anacortes
- Once you reach Anacortes merge right into the traffic circle and another right onto Commercial Avenue
- Take a left at 12th St., where signs point you to the San Juan Islands ferry, and follow for about 2 miles to the terminal
Allow a comfortable 1-1/2 to 2 hours to enjoy the drive and the scenery from Seattle or Vancouver B.C. to the Anacortes ferry.