History Lives Here
History Lives Here
During the month of May, the Town of Friday Harbor, in partnership with the Lopez, Orcas and San Juan Island Historical Museums and the San Juan Island National Historical Park and other community organizations, will tell the stories of the people and places of the San Juans by celebrating National Historic Preservation Month as "History Lives Here." Guided walking tours, local history talks and other special events will attract visitors and residents alike, and portray the past as long-time islanders lived and remember it. Take our new Historic Friday Harbor Walking Tour past the buildings where the town's history began. The Lopez, Orcas and San Juan Island Historical Societies are collaborating on an exciting project for History Lives Here month this year. The central theme will be quilts as carriers of community and women's history. The museums are putting together exhibits and programs that feature historic and contemporary quilts, with an emphasis on signature quilts.
The Lopez Island Historical Museum will feature several programs and a special signature quilt exhibit from May 9 through May 18.
The Orcas Island Historical Museum will exhibit their quilt collection from May 24 through July 6.
The Washington Quilt Study Group has scheduled their first retreat in San Juan County to coincide with these special exhibits. The three-day event (May 16-18) will include trips to Orcas Island and Friday Harbor to see the quilts hanging at each island’s historical museum.
In addition to the special exhibits, two collectors from the Mid-West will be sharing examples from their collections of early 19th-century antique quilts from the U.S., Great Britain and France, along with the exciting stories that accompany them. These quilts have never been exhibited on the West Coast.
Other events will include a Bed Turning at The Quilt Cabin on Lopez, a discussion of two early 20th-century quilt designers by quilt historian and past-president of The Quilters Hall of Fame, Karen Alexander; and a program on quilt conservation and restoration by professional quilt restorer Anne Dawson of Lopez Island.
Find all of these events and more on our events calendar. For further information call 888-468-3701, ext. 1
History Lives Here Events
• Exhibit: Signature Quilts as Carriers of Community and Women's History, May 9 - 18, Lopez Island Historical Museum
• Bed Turning at the Quilt Cabin, May 16, Lopez Island Historical Museum
• Collection of Early British, French & American 19th Century Quilts, May 16, Lopez Island Historical Museum
• History of Early 20th Century Quilt Designers, May 16, Lopez Island Historical Museum
• History of Signature Quilts & How to Research Them, May 16, Lopez Island Historical Museum
• Quilt Tour, May 16, Lopez Island Historical Museum
• Quilt Restoration/Conservation, May 17, Lopez Island Historical Museum
• Show & Tell Quilts, May 17, Lopez Island Historical Museum
• Orcas Island Ship Quilt Show, A Community Story, May 18, Orcas Island Historical Museum
• Orcas Island Quilt Show, May 24 - July 6, Orcas Island Historical Museum
San Juan Island/Friday Harbor
• Historic Downtown Friday Harbor Guided Tour, May 3, Town of Friday Harbor
• BioBlitz at American Camp, May 3-4, San Juan Island National Historical Park
• Annual Brann Cabin Old-Fashioned Bake-Off, May 14, San Juan County Park
• History of the Grange Hall, May 21, San Juan Grange Hall
• Historic Churches of Friday Harbor Guided Tour, May 24, Town of Friday Harbor
• The History of Sunshine Alley, May 28, Town of Friday Harbor
• Legacy American Camp Fireside & Historic Structures, May 30-31, San Juan Island National Historical Park
• History, Architecture & Evolution of Sunshine Alley, May 31, Town of Friday Harbor
History Lives Here Lodging Packages
• Argyle House B & B - Historic B & B Lodging - 3rd Night Free!
• Bird Rock Hotel - History Lives Here May Special, May 1-22, San Juan Island/Friday Harbor
• Doe Bay Resort & Retreat - Heritage Month Lodging, May 1-31, San Juan Island/Friday Harbor
• Driftwood Farm Cottage - A Piece of Pig War History & $100 Off!, May 1-31, San Juan Island/Friday Harbor
• Kangaroo House Bed & Breakfast - History Lives Here Lodging Special, May 1-31, Orcas Island
• Tucker House Inn - A Living History Weekend, May 1-31, San Juan Island/Friday Harbor