Strategies to Reduce Woody Biomass Workshops
Northwest Natural Resource Group is offering a workshop series this spring to teach forest owners strategies to reduce woody biomass and improve forest health. This series will cover everything from using thinned woody biomass to improve wildlife habitat to manufacturing valuable biochar.
Forest Tour: Thinning Overstocked Stands for Health and Productivity
- Saturday, February 24, 2018 | Orcas Island
- Tour forests across Orcas Island that have been thinned to reduce fire risk and improve health and timber value. Learn creative ways to use excess woody biomass to improve habitat, enrich soils, and generate renewable energy.
Measuring Timber and Woody Biomass in San Juan Forests
- Saturday, April 28, 2018 | Lopez Island
- Learn how to use basic forestry tools to install inventory plots to measure timber volumes and distinguish between merchantable and non-merchantable trees.
How to Manufacture Biochar from Woody Biomass
- Saturday, June 30, 2018 | San Juan Island
- Pick up all the tips and tricks San Juan forest owners have learned to safely and successfully manufacture biochar, a valuable charcoal used to amend soils. Focus will be on using woody biomass derived from thinning forests.