Marketing Content & Outreach Coordinator/Manager
The San Juan Islands Visitors Bureau (SJIVB) is seeking a dynamic, knowledgeable and experienced marketing and communications professional committed to tourism and economic development, balanced with our islands’ environmental and social values. This position is based in an office in Friday Harbor, and involves monthly travel to Orcas and Lopez Islands, and occasional travel to Seattle. This position will work under the supervision of the Executive Director and Communications & Stewardship Manager.
This position is advertised as either full or part time. We are looking for the “best” candidate for this position, whether it be someone looking for a full-time position (40 hours a week, Monday-Friday) or part-time position (24 hours a week, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays) in order to job share with the current team member. If we hire a part-time team member, there is a good chance the part-time position will become a full-time position in the future, so we are looking for someone who is also interested in a full-time position at some point in the future.
The SJIVB’s mission is to enhance the economic prosperity of San Juan County by promoting the San Juan Islands as a preferred, year-round travel destination, while respecting and sustaining the Islands’ unique and diverse ecosystems, environments, lifestyles and cultures.
1. Writing a variety of marketing content to share the San Juan Islands’ ever-evolving stories:
- Website – Creates, manages and grows website content, web sessions and page views. Keeps home page up to date with seasonal campaigns, events, photos, etc.; writes all content including new pages, experiences, itineraries, etc.; blog editor; posts ads and various documents; submits and follows through with trouble tickets to web development consultants; reviews web pages for needed updates; works with web consultants to continue to enhance usability of website; reviews and assesses Google Analytics, etc.
- Content Calendar – Creates and manages annual Content Calendar based on input from staff and our marketing consultants The Communications Group (TCG)
- Seasonal Campaigns – Works with TCG and members to gather web page content and participation in Savor the San Juans, History Lives Here, Winter Romance, Spring Break, etc. via emails, phone calls, etc.
- E-newsletters – Writes and distributes monthly E-newsletters; strategizes ways to increase click-throughs, opt-ins, etc.; reviews and assesses analytics
- Social media – Manages and grows our social media platforms; posts to Facebook, Instagram, YouTube channel, Pinterest; posts to SJIs Scenic Byway Facebook page; reviews and assesses analytics
2. Outreach to Lopez & Orcas Islands, our members, potential members, and at trade shows:
- Writes and emails bi-monthly e-News to members re: marketing opportunities, etc.
- Attends Chamber of Commerce meetings on San Juan, Orcas and Lopez; spends at least 2 days a month on Orcas Island and 1 day a month on Lopez Island to meet with members and potential members, and gather content ideas/stories
- Photography – Takes photos on all three islands for website and social media content
- Exhibits at shows such as Seattle Wedding Show, Taste Washington, Red, White & Brew, etc.
3. Special marketing projects:
- Marketing Committee – Attends/participates in committee meetings/retreats
- Agritourism Niche – Manages this tourism niche via committees and/or partnerships with Ag Guild, SJC Ag Resources Committee, Island Grown, Brickworks, SJC Conservation District, etc. re: ‘Savor the San Juans’ fall promotions and events, WA Tilth Alliance Farm Guide co-op ad/map, annual Ag Summit, WA Tilth Conference, etc.
- “What’s New & Cool” – Compiles and drafts content for this piece, 2-3 times a year
- Promotional Contests – Requests and gathers getaway prizes from members for various print, radio, TV and online promotions
- Other – Assists as needed with projects such as photo shoots, video shoots, etc.
- 3+ years’ experience in marketing and communications, or related area
- Undergraduate degree with relevant major and course work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent proofing and editing skills regarding own work and work of others
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Passion for, and knowledge of, the San Juan Islands and responsible, sustainable tourism
- Strong knowledge of Lopez, Orcas and San Juan Islands’ visitor amenities and attractions
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office computer products (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Aptitude for learning basic web-based tools in order to make daily updates to website
- Strong knowledge and effective use of various social media communications platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube
- Competency in basic photography, layout and design
- Strong customer service skills and high standards for professional relationships
- Ability to work as part of a small team and to work independently
- Strong sense of initiative
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, quick-changing environment
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadline
- Organized, creative and flexible
- Vehicle for work errands, and travel to other islands and regional trade shows
- Ability to lift, pull and transport minimum of 40 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation (exhibit display booth, boxes of brochures, etc.)
- Ability to attend an annual educational conference, 3-5 days, depending on location
This position’s annual salary range is $45,000-$55,000; starting salary commensurate with experience.
SJIVB office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, plus occasional evenings and weekends. Compensatory (comp) time will be given for working extra hours when needed.
Part-time office hours for this position would be Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, based on current team member’s part-time office days/hours.
The SJIVB office is located in Friday Harbor at 640 Mullis Street, Suites 210-213, in Technology Building A, upstairs near The Journal offices.
Interested candidates should submit the following by July 12, 5:00 p.m.:
- Cover letter outlining reasons for interest in the position, relevant skills and qualifications, and whether you’re interested in a full-time or part-time position (24 hours a week)
- Five (5) writing samples, with photos if available
- Samples of any relevant documents, webpages or publications you have created or participated in creating. Please indicate your role in producing each document
- Three (3) references including at least one who has supervised your work. Please include name, position, organizational affiliation, contact information, and your relationship to each reference.
Application materials should be submitted to [email protected] by 5:00 p.m. Thursday, July 12. Application materials may also be dropped off at the address above.
Interviews will take place the week of July 23.
Start date is on or before Monday, August 20, 2018.
Questions should be directed to Executive Director Deborah Hopkins Buchanan at 360-378-3277 ext. 5.