Doe Bay

The historic community of Doe Bay on Orcas Island was traditionally a sanctuary for Coast Salish tribes, who held potlatches here until it was settled by homesteaders in the mid-1800s. Doe Bay was a post office from 1900 to 1924, and a stop for commerce and passengers who rode Mosquito Fleet ferries between Bellingham and the San Juan Islands through the 1920s. The main building is now on the National Register of Historic Buildings, and has also housed a dance hall, a fishing resort, an artist colony, a New Age commune called The Polarity Institute, and finally, the Doe Bay Resort & Retreat, which now offers cabins, yurts and campsites as well as soaking tubs, a sauna, massage and a waterfront café.

More Information