In Your Car
Depart for Lopez, Orcas, Shaw or San Juan Island from the Washington State ferry terminal in Anacortes, about a 90-minute drive from Seattle or Vancouver, B.C. Getting here is half the fun aboard a ferry and reservations are now available at www.takeaferry.com to make trip planning easier! Reservations are released in three, 30% tiers: up to two months before the start of the four seasonal sailing schedules, two weeks prior to a specific sailing date, and two days prior to specific sailing dates.
You'll need to arrive 30 to 90 minutes ahead of your sailing time but there's plenty to do around the terminal. Trails lead down to the nearby beach and through shoreline wetlands. You can browse the tiny gift shop, buy drinks and snacks, walk your dog in the dog-walking area and on the beach, relax at a picnic table, or boot up your laptop and take advantage of the terminal's wireless internet service. Easy does it—you're in San Juan Islands vacation mode now.
To drive to the Anacortes ferry terminal from Seattle:
- Take I-5 North
- Take Exit 230 to Burlington/Anacortes (or Exits 221 or 226 through scenic Skagit Valley)
- At the first light, turn left toward Anacortes onto Highway 20 west
- Follow Highway 20 west to Anacortes for about 16 miles
- Once you reach Anacortes merge right into the traffic circle and another right onto Commercial Avenue
- Take a left at 12th St., where signs point you to the San Juan Islands ferry, and follow for about 2 miles to the terminal
Allow a comfortable 1 1/2 to 2 hours to enjoy the drive and the scenery from Seattle or Vancouver B.C. to the Anacortes ferry terminal.